The shooting occurred on Lunar New Year’s Eve about seven miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Luna said it was too early to tell whether the festival was connected to the shooting.
The gunman who opened fire at a ballroom dance studio in Monterey Park in the 100 block of West Garvey Ave. on Saturday night, killing 10 people and injuring 10 others, remained on the loose Sunday morning, authorities said.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said a “very preliminary description” was that the suspect is an Asian man aged 30 to 50, but he did not provide further details.
“We are utilizing every resource to apprehend this suspect in what we believe to be one of the county’s most heinous cases,” Luna said.
Yahoo News published a report from Los Angeles time.
A club goer named Wong Wei told the news outlet that his friend was at the club but had been in the bathroom when the shooting began.
Furthermore, he said that when she came out, she saw the gunman firing indiscriminately from a long gun. On top of that, she also saw three people lying dead, including one of the facility managers. Luckily, she escaped to Mr Wei’s nearby home, he said.
LAPD Makes a Statement
Subsequently, a law enforcement source briefed said the gunman used a high-powered assault rifle at close range. Additionally, some witnesses described a white cargo van, which Luna said should be considered “a van of interest.”
“When officers arrived on the scene, they observed numerous individuals, patrons of the location pouring out of the location, screaming. The officers made entry to the location and located additional victims.”
LAPD goes on to say: “We will look at every angle as far as whether it was a hate crime or not. It’s just too early in the investigation to know, Capt. Andrew Meyer of LAPD Sherriff Dept. stated.