INDIANA- An Evansville family left three children unattended, while most likely going to retrieve drugs. The neglect resulted in the death of three year old, Kamari Opperman. Seemingly, the baby’s life could have been saved, but her mishpocha didn’t move quickly enough. Sadly, the baby took her last breath in her Western Indiana home, after she and her siblings ingested Fentanyl pills they fond in a nightstand. Unknown as to who called, but when police arrived, they reportedly found 5600 fentanyl pills in the house.
If you’re wondering where the mom is, she’s 20 year old Makaylee Jade Opperman. She, along with Brandon Keith Opperman,39, and her daughters grandparents were arrested and charged with ‘neglect of a dependent causing death’.
Charges According to The Affidavit
There were more people, Allison Marcia Smithler, 22; and Jazmynn Alaina Brown, 23, who are part of the drug ring as well. As charged with neglect of a dependent, on top of additional drug charges, while Arcinial Montreal Watt, 33, is facing two counts of dealing a controlled substance. On top of that, October 29, an additional person, Ryan Cheek,24, was charged on drug dealings and possesion charges after being linked with the other suspects in the crime.
What Happened That Day
The children were at home under the care of Smithler, who resided at the home as well, according to an affadavit. But, at some point, she was distracted enough to leave the children unattended at their shared address, 3010 E. Sycamore St. Obviously, the children found the pills in that duration of time.
When the police arrived on the scene, Kamari’s grandmother told them,”the children “got hold” of a bag containing fentanyl pills the night before”, according to the Evansville Courier & Press.
But, even after Kamari would ‘get hold’ of the pills and swallow them, no one took her, nor her siblings to the ER.
It wasn’t until Wednesday morning that the children were finally seen at the hospital, and administered a medication for opioid overdoses. Subsequently, Nick Hermann produced an affidavit explicating that the children are currently recovering. So, that’s one good part in this story. Well, pretty much the only good part in this story. How lucky were they!
“This tragedy needs to serve as a wakeup call to our entire community,” Hermann, the prosecutor said. He added, ‘one or both of the other children may have died without the medical treatment they received Wednesday’.
Drugs Impact Our Communities
In an interview, Evansville police department said another infant-aged child could have possibly been “exposed” to the fentanyl as well. Such a shame. Hopefully, the child is okay and in good hands.
It’s unfortunate that the Evansville-Vanderburgh County Joint Drug Job Power is “dealing with fentanyl constantly,” police spokeswoman Sgt. Anna Grey stated.
According to the National Institutue on Drug Abuse, the deadly drug is 100 extra highly effective than morphine. So sad. We have to do better. It’s time we do better with our communities.