What We Know
- Derek Chauvin is being checked every fifteen minutes, as he remains in custody.
- He is being held in a single cell inside of Ramsey County Jail.
- Chauvin was arrested Friday after digging his knee into Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds while crying out “I can’t breathe”, “Mama”, “Please, just let me stand up”, “Please”.
- This lynching sparked national outrage all over the world for the racial injustice and flat out cold murder of yet another unarmed, cooperating Black man.
- Protests have erupted in over 30 cities
- Floyd, 46, died on Memorial Day.
- Chauvin’s wife, Kellie Chauvin filed for divorce from former officer Chauvin on Friday.
“She is devastated by Mr. Floyd’s death and her utmost sympathy lies with his family, with his loved ones and with everyone who is grieving this tradgedy”, said the Sekula Law Offices in a statement representing Mrs. Chauvin and her family.
“Tou Thou is NOT Ms. Chauvin’s brother. I would GREATLY appreciate help putting that rumor to rest”, Amanda Mason-Sekula, her divorce lawyer said in an email according to ABC NEWS CHANNEL 12. “Her family has been harrassed and threatened based on multiple incorrect reports”, she concludes.
According to TMZ, Chauvin didn’t make any eye contact with anyone when he arrived at the jail and was subject to a naked body search, just like everyone else getting booked into the prison. He was given a uniform and placed into his cell.
This story is still developing. Check back for updates.